Friday, April 2, 2010

Magic Realism

In the spirit of April Fool’s Day, I thought that I would post about an art genre that while it might seem similar to trompe l’oeil, rather than fooling the eye, fools the senses, perceptions, expectations. Painters in the Magic or Magical Realism style represent objects in ultra realistic detail, but not necessarily in realistic situations. Their paintings leave us wondering if they are trying to trick us into believing something that is unreal or if we are just not able to perceive a hidden reality. Personally, I like to think that it is the latter, but that I have the ability to develop my senses so that eventually I will be able to see what they see. Until then though, I can enjoy their paintings.

Below, I would like to present five of my favorite contemporary artists who, while they are not necessarily painting in the style of Magic Realism as it was defined in the early 20th Century, are certainly part of the genre as it has evolved during the latter quarter of the century.

Julie Heffernan
Each month, many San Francisco art galleries participate in the First Thursday open galleries and it has become something of a traditional outing for my husband and myself. About four years ago, I discovered Julie Heffernan’s art on one of these evenings and she instantly became a favorite artist of mine.

Last night, I visited the Catherine Clark Gallery to pick up a catalogue from a Heffernan show that I had missed a few years ago and the gallerist told me that the artist will be lecturing at the Art Institute this upcoming Monday at 7:30pm. I’m so excited!


David Knoll
Sadly, I have only seen this artists work online, but hope that I will be able to go to one of his shows someday. Mr. Knoll states on is website that he wants his paintings to be “destinations of quiet and calm” and they certainly have that effect on me.




Bridget Couc
Mlle. Couc is a fellow blogger who shares her whimsical paintings on her blog. She also designs needlepoint patterns for DMC and her sweet still-lifes translate beautifully into textiles. I love her series of crowned songbirds eating decadent desserts.


Bernardo Roman Palau
I discovered this Mexican artist on First Thursday last month. I often have delightful surprises in the Jack Fischer Gallery and this certainly was one of them. When I saw his painting of a cedar waxwing, I was transported back to a childhood memory of looking out my bedroom window to see the pyracantha bush below it full of migrating waxwings.
Lucy Gaylord-Lindholm
Lucy Gaylord-Lindholm is another artist whose work I first saw at Jack Fischer’s gallery. Her 2006 show left a lasting impression on me and I was thrilled when I noticed earlier this week that she had another show opening last night. At first, the small scale of her works surprised me, but the fine details and intriguing imagery drew me in to the point that the surroundings were all but forgotten.
I hope that you enjoyed my first “virtual” gallery exhibition.

1 comment:

  1. Those paintings are gorgeous! We had a few magic realist painters over here too, like Pyke Koch and the most famous Carel Willink. And I'm a huge fan of the Belgian book 'de komst van Joachim Stiller, by Hubert Lampo, do you read Dutch? He is a magic realistic writer. I was just passing, wishing you and your husband a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate it!

<3
Kelly