After having to miss the Alameda Fleamarket for the past two months, I was determined to go this month, rain or shine, although I certainly would have preferred the latter. I started worrying the weather forecast as soon Sunday's was posted. At first, there was no chance of rain, then 10%, then 60%, then back down to 50% and then yesterday, 90%! When I got up at 7:30am this morning, it wasn't raining and percent was down to 80, so I convinced my dear husband to risk the trip. While the temperature was fairly mild in SF, by the time we got to the East Bay, the wind had picked up and it was freezing at the flea. It seemed that only about a third of the usual dealers had bothered to come on a potentially rainy holiday weekend, but it was just as well, because a quick trip through was in order. I still found a couple of small treasures, both in $5 bins, a pretty embroidered tea tablecloth and a small Deco purse that's perfect for just the essentials. Plus, one of the sellers threw in the the little vintage doll dress. We managed to make it almost all the way through the market before the first drops of rain fell, but by the time we picked up snacks at the end, we had to rush back to our truck to stay dry.However, I still hadn't gotten my fill of antiquing, so on our return, we stayed on the freeway to the south of the city to go to the San Francisco Antiques & Design Mall. A little over a month ago, I had seen a model sailboat in one of the booths and was sorry that I didn't pick it up at the time, so I promised myself -- and my poor husband, who got to hear about it for the past month -- that I would buy it this time if it was still there. And it waited for me! I have no idea where I'm going to put it, but it's just so charming, I'll figure out someplace for it. R. is trying to convince me that it's seaworthy and that we should take it out to the lake in the park where they sail model boats, but I'm not so sure that I want to risk it. At the same collective, I also found a serving fork in our silver pattern, Queen Bess, so bad weather notwithstanding, I still consider it to have been a successful "Fleafinds" day.

You did great, not too much 'where do I put this or that' stuff, just great finds, love the purse and the little dress, well I love everything! We had some nasty weather yesterday, and today it is the 2nd day of Easter over here, traditionally the day of flea markets, but my husband has caught a cold so we just stay home and I love that too! I wouldn't sail with that boat, maybe your husband should have bought his own!
ReplyDeleteRead your comment at Lili M's. I live in Rotterdam.
ReplyDeleteGreetings and have a nice day Madelon
Hi Kelly,
ReplyDeleteSo glad you dropped by and left a comment as it led me here. I really love that sail boat. I can see why you had to go back for it. Enjoyed my visit and will be back again. Great to meet you!
~jermaine~