Sunday, April 18, 2010

Filoli and beyond

It seemed so appropriate that the first thing I saw at Filoli was a field of bluebells, like the one in the romantic film "Bright Star", since we had decided to spend our 19th wedding anniversary visiting the estate.

Amazingly, this was our first visit to the garden and house, but we knew right away that we had found a "low door in the wall" that would lead us to a magical place that we would want to return to often.

There was more beauty around every corner.

And flowers beckoning us to explore further.

We only took a few moments to record our presence.

Because we were so eager to see more.

Fauns were calling us into the garden.



And we were intoxicated as if by opium by the beauty that surrounded us.

However, the beauty didn't stop just with the garden, because the house promised even more.

It was as if we had sailed to a land forever frozen in time.

I was tempted to bake some teacakes.

And enjoy them in this quiet corner of the diningroom.

I fell in love with this lovely display table.

And was enchanted by this sconce.

Oh, so intriguing, even moreso because it was forbidden.

I wanted to sit at this desk and write all my friends about this wonderful place.

But had to rush off to the ball.

Finally, hunger called us and we dined in the courtyard with little Flora.

But soon we're off again to explore deeper in the garden.

It was hard to believe that some of the flowers were real.

And even in death, they held their beauty.

This apple tree was so full of bees that their buzzing was the only sound that could be heard.

It was so tempting to refresh ourselves in this pool.

But we decided to return to our favorite building, the Orangerie.

And spend a few minutes relaxing.

While we did, the doves softly cooed to us (follow the link to a brief video).

And a little bird splashed in the fountain outside.

Sadly, the clocktower warned us that it was almost time to leave, so we bid farewell to our now beloved Filoli.


Just up the road, we stopped at the Pulgas Water Temple to thank the gods for blessing us.

And giving us such a lovely day.

We made our way home via the coast, stopping in Half Moon Bay to visit a forgotten cemetery and lucked upon Half to Have It, an antique store full of wonderful things with a very sweet proprietress.

A little violet followed me home from the Filoli gift shop.

We finished off our celebration with champagne and souffle.


Sorry for such a picture heavy post. The fact is that I took over 200 pictures, but to save my poor friends, I uploaded the majority of them to my Flickr.

6 comments:

  1. Oh these photos are stunning! I'm a little behind now, due to the beautiful weather over here, but when I caught up with everyone I'm going to visit your Flickr album. Those flowers are great! And the photos of you and your husband are great too. Love to travel along with you, thanks for taking me with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting me as well. I loved this post what a beautiful pictures.
    Enjoy your week.
    Madelon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh!!! Congratulations!!
    And the two of you look amazing!! I couldn't even think of a better place for you to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I hope you'll make a photo album of sorts with some of these photos in the 3d world ... photos from a happy day like this are too good to keep on the internet! And this is exactly the thing I'd want to find from my parents or an aunt or uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So of course I had to search for your visit to Filoli from your anniversary weekend.(You both look too young for 19 married years btw!) The Orangerie is just the perfect place inside and out and my favorite as well. This place is so magical it doesn't seem real. And how lucky that we are allowed to share it.
    I am thrilled you took the time to post a comment on my blog and I recognized you immediately when I saw your photos. Thanks for coming by for a second look, one of many I hope!
    Lisa & Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate it!

<3
Kelly