Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Necklaces

I just felt like posting about my favorite necklaces. I go through periods of preferring different kinds of jewelry. Sometimes it's brooches, sometimes rings, but now it seems to be necklaces. I recently lucked into the necklace above at a thrift store. I adore how perfectly the little leaves, nuts and seeds are cast and the pearl and stone accents. I wish that I knew who made it.

This is my "Happy Prince" necklace. A few weeks ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with images from Oscar Wilde's story in my head and somehow had to make them real. I found the swallow and Prince's heart on Etsy and combined them with two blue rhinestone "eyes" and one red rhinestone "hilt jewel" in a vintage gold cage and a Swiss embroidered "OW".

I found this pendant at an art supply store. I love the odd combination of the crown and stag.

This enameled heart was buried in a box of findings at a bead store and just needed a chain added.

I've had this antique cameo for years. It can be worn as both a necklace and brooch.

A sweet angel locket from a rummage sale. I put a bit of fur from our kitty that we lost last year in it.

These keys on a ribbon are from the same rummage sale. They are very soft sterling and bend easily, so I don't think that they were ever meant to be used in a lock.

Last May, my husband and I made our fourth trip to Japan, which included a few days on the southern island of Kyushu. I had to make a pilgrimage to a little zakka-ya (arts & crafts store) there called "Tabby" and among other things, got this cute squirrel necklace. I really like the antique lace "chain".


While this post was supposed to be about necklaces, I couldn't resist including this brooch that I got at a crafts fair last December. With my stashes of antique lace and jewelry bits, I could have made something like it, but it was nice to support another artist.

3 comments:

  1. Your jewelry is beautfiul! I especially love the angel locket. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog!

    xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, those are all lovely...i am not much for wearing jewelry, but i would wear any one of these beauties...thanks for stopping over to visit me Kelly:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are such pretty necklaces! I especially like the cameo and the keys.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate it!

<3
Kelly