Monday, August 9, 2010

Jane Austen Picnic Dance -- finally!



Yes, the day had finally come for the Jane Austen themed picnic . It seemed like we had prepared for it forever, but when the morning of the event came -- after an excited, but sleepless night -- it was hard to believe that it was here. We had some minor costume fails -- turned out that my husband couldn't get his riding boots to fit around his trouser, so he wore opera pumps -- but for the most part everything went smoothly as planned.


First things first -- set up the picnic.

Then prepare to enjoy the picnic.


And the most important part of the enjoyment -- champagne!


I tried to keep the menu as authentic as possible, so fixed an egg, cheese and leek pie (a.k.a. quiche), a roast joint of Tofurky, mixed pickle, stilton, apples and walnuts and strawberries. We also had lemon tarts from Miette, which I ran the gamut of tourists at the Ferry Building to pick up on our way to the picnic. I even risked our Wedgwood service to fit the period.


The quiche in progress.


Colorful mixed pickle.


Robert even handwrote with pen and ink special labels for the champagne and dessert wine. Sadly, we forgot to take pictures of the champagne bottles and managed to polish off all three and discard them, but the vintage was the very good year of 1811. I did snap a picture of the Constantia when we got home though.


So enough about food, let's talk about clothes. From the top, my costume consisted of a bonnet that I made by reshaping a fine straw hat that I got at a fleamarket trimmed with blue grosgrain ribbons with a vintage lace cap underneath which would have been appropriate for a married woman of the time. I loved the red and white striped Spencer jacket that Fanny Brawne wore in the movie "Bright Star" and decided to make a similar one.


Attempting to match the stripes in such a complicated construction was an adventure though.


Underneath the jacket is a dress of white self-striped voile that I ordered on the good advice of a friend. She also pointed me in the direct of some perfect little flats from Target of all places, to which I added black grosgrain ribbons. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of just the dress without the jacket, but I had trimmed the neckline with antique lace. Contrary to popular belief, Regency women did not walk around in see-through muslin dresses though, but had several layers of underpinnings underneath, so I also made a short sleeved chemise and bodiced petticoat with vintage eyelet lace at the hem as well as the short stays I featured earlier. Vintage yellow gloves and my reticule completed my ensemble.


Now it's time to discuss my handsome husband's ensemble. I made the frock coat for him from some vintage linen he had in his fabric collection and the waistcoat from vintage striped silk from a fleamarket. It's difficult to see from the picture, but I made bound buttonholes for all 14 buttons on these pieces. Underneath, I made a batiste shirt with a tall collar and full sleeves and a matching cravat. However, I was so proud of him, because he rose to the challenge and actually made the drop-front trousers himself. This was his first full sewing project and he did a fabulous job! He topped off his outfit with a straw tophat and made the watch fob with an period style ribbon backing for his antique pocket watch. His outfit was completed with a goldstone cravat pin and gloves.


Such a dashing gentleman!


He even went so far as to grow Regency style sideburns for the event, but couldn't wait to shave them off when it was over.


I also put some effort into my hair style by setting curls in the front and wrapping a fall into a braided bun in the back. Sadly, I didn't think to take pictures of it until the evening, so please forgive the flash.


The picnic was held at a lovely park in Alameda which had a tiny Victorian cottage in it and...


...a small rose garden.


We estimated that over 100 people turned out for the picnic, most in period appropriate attire. Here is the scene around our picnic spot:






This was my favorite costume of all though.


I was a wonderful picnic filled with sweet people, tasty food, plenty of champagne and much dancing. Yes, there was dancing and I even got my non-dancer husband to join me for about half the dances. While we didn't feel confident enough to join in the waltzes, after our lessons at the Sacramento library a few weeks ago, we did do most of the long line dances which were briefly taught first and then called throughout. A couple were still confusing, but we had fun doing all of them. Since we were dancing, there are no pictures, but I'm keeping an eye on the pictures popping up on line and will post some of us if I find them.

While we arrived at the picnic at bit before 11am and stayed until the last few were packing up at about 5pm, six hours still wasn't enough time to fully enjoy what had turned out to be a lovely day, so we decided to drive over to Mountainview Cemetery in Piedmont for more photos in an appropriate setting.






And thus ended our day with Jane Austen.


Thank you for joining us!

10 comments:

  1. How fun! Are you sure you didn't actually step back in time? And a bottle of vintage 1811!
    Did other people admire your amazing handmade things? Were theirs as well done?
    That little boy was cute :) looks like many Mennonite children around here do...only they are barefooted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope there's more to come. You both did just wonderfully with your costumes! I'm impressed. Great pictures!

    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly- what a wonderful event and how marvellous you both looked! You must let me into the secret of getting your husband to participate so fully! Im so glad you had a wonderful time- your hard work deserved a great reward!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly this is marvelous! I love your hair and I so wish they had events like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad at all your stuff coming together in such an impressive way! I can't believe you did an outfit for your boy, too! Wow!

    I love EVERYTHING. All your color and fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful photos of this lovely event! It looks like so much fun... your picnic spread looks beautiful and delicious and your costumes were perfect! You look so authentic. Love it all.

    jermaine @ french-kissed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh finally I made it here! You are such a gorgeous couple, you must have been born in the wrong time! Love the bonnet too!!

    I really loved SF, cloudy foggy wheather or not. When you do a lot of sightseeing it is better that the temperatures are modest,
    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous event! And you both looked amazing! How DID you find such a man? My husband hardly even listens to me when italk about my interests, much less actually join me in them! You did a wonderful job with your costumes and meal...I would have loved to have gone to see everyone dressed up! & of course, I LOVE Jane Austen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for stopping by! My husband and I have always shared just about every hobby -- well, to be honest, he's not too much into my dolls -- and I count myself to be very lucky.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This picnic looks like so much fun! I love your costumes and admire your husband for taking the challenge and joining in the fun... my husband would never be seen in a Regency costume!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate it!

<3
Kelly